Sociology Matters 6th edition by Richard Schaefer – Test Bank
Stratification in the United States and Global Inequality
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A condition in which members of a society have different amounts of wealth, prestige, or power is called
C. social structure.
D. social inequality.
2. Which term is used by sociologists to refer to a structured ranking of groups of people that perpetuates unequal economic rewards and power in society?
A. social mobility
3. An individual’s salary and wages are called
4. A panhandler makes $15 to $20 per day on the streets. This is an example of
5. Wealth is
A. all of a person’s material assets, including land, stocks, and other types of property.
B. salaries and wages.
C. a term used by Max Weber to refer to people who have a similar level of income and prestige.
D. a term used by Thorsten Veblen for people who have the same lifestyle, independent of their class position.
6. A well-known Hollywood actress owns homes in Beverly Hills and the French Riviera, and she owns her own movie production company along with a large portfolio of stocks. The accumulation of the different things that she owns is considered
7. An ascribed status is a social position
A. attained by a person largely through his or her own effort.
B. “assigned” to a person without regard to the person’s unique characteristics or talents.
C. based solely on income and wealth.
D. based solely on lifestyle.