Psychology Perspectives And Connections 3rd Edition by Gregor – Test Bank
Which of the following statements is true about identical twins?
The _____________ is the first major organ to form in a developing fetus.
A. heart B. brain C. liver D. kidney
Twins are identical mainly due to dizygotic fertilization.
In the womb, up to 5% of identical twins develop their own placenta.
Identical twins develop from one fertilized egg.
Identical twins turn out to be vastly different from each other in their personalities, intelligence, illness, and disease histories.
- During the development of a fetus, the ___________ develops about a week after the brain. A. skull
C. intestine D. heart
- The ____________ stage of development begins at conception and lasts for two weeks. A. embryonic
- When a sperm fertilizes an egg, the resulting single cell is known as a(n) _________. A. zygote
C. blastocyst D. embryo
- Which of the following occurs by day seven after conception?
A. The sex of the embryo is determined and appropriate genitalia develop.
B. Major organs like the heart, kidneys, and the brain begin to develop.
C. The sperm attaches itself to the female and egg and forms a zygote.
D. The blastocyst travels down the fallopian tube and attaches to the uterine wall.
- Which of the following is the correct order of prenatal development—from the earliest stage to the latest stage?
A. Zygote, germinal stage, embryonic stage, fetal stage B. Embryonic stage, germinal stage, fetal stage, zygote C. Germinal stage, embryonic stage, fetal stage, zygote D. Fetal stage, zygote, germinal stage, embryonic stage
- The formation of the brain, spinal cord, heart, ears, eyes, and palate takes place in the ___________ stage of development.
A. cephalocaudal B. fetal
- The ___________ takes the longest amount of time to develop. A. heart
D. central nervous system
- The second stage of prenatal development begins at about two weeks after conception. At this point, the growing bundle of cells is called a(n) __________.
C. fetus D. zygote
- The key event that distinguishes the embryonic stage from the third stage, the fetal stage, is the formation of the ___________.
A. bone cells
Bevin and Essien’s obstetrician tells them that their baby has entered the fetal stage. The key event that distinguishes this stage from the embryonic stage is the development of ___________ in their baby.
B. bone cells
D. external genitalia
Karen has been using her stethoscope for many days to listen to her fetus’ heartbeat. Today, for the first time, she detected her fetus’ heart beat. Karen must be at least _____________ weeks pregnant.
A. two B. five C. six D. eight